Every year when September 1st rolls around there’s an instant switch in my home– especially in my kitchen. With the autumnal equinox just around the corner, I charge full steam ahead bringing all of my favorite fall comfort foods to the table. Whether it’s a fresh apple dessert or a thick, warm soup I am always so excited to be in my kitchen as soon as the crisp air hits. Since there are still ten days until autumn is technically here, my first recipe with the changing season falls (pun intended) in between two seasonal categories. With a little bit of heaviness and a little bit of late summer, my corn chowder creation was the perfect healthy and hearty dinner meal.
Since I was rolling with the ingredients I already had in my kitchen, this dish was a little different from your traditional corn chowder. Rather than the use of heavy cream or whole milk, I substituted some delicious, creamy coconut milk. This gave the soup a nice dairy-free twist and some natural sweetness. Another healthy trade-out I made was to swap the regular potatoes for some yummy sweet potatoes. While potatoes of the regular and sweet variety both have great health benefits, if you’re looking for something with less calories and carbs, the sweet potato is the way to go. (On a personal note I also prefer the smooth taste of a sweet potato to a white potato.)
Overall, this corn chowder recipe was a hit. While the taste was different from that you’ll find in a can or from a restaurant, it was delicious in its own right. With a hint of sweetness and a dash of savory, the corn chowder checked off all of the boxes of a comfort meal for a cozy, fall evening.
– cooking oil
– 2 cans of sweet corn (you don’t have to use canned corn, but that is what I had available.)
– 1 red or orange bell pepper
– 1 large sweet potato
– 2 quarts of preferred broth (I made homemade vegetable broth* for mine, but you can use anything from vegetable broth to chicken stock.)
– 1 19 fl oz can of coconut milk
– 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
– Italian seasoning and salt for taste
- Drizzle cooking oil in a medium to large saucepan over medium heat.
- Dice sweet potato and bell pepper, then combine in the saucepan with corn. Mix and season with some salt and Italian seasoning.
- Saute the vegetables for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the broth into the saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the coconut milk and the flour for thickening. Be sure to stir well so that the ingredients combine otherwise the liquids may separate.
- Let the soup simmer for a few more minutes and then serve.
* To make your own homemade vegetable broth all you have to do is throw some of your favorite veggies into a big pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 45 minutes to pull all those good nutrients out. Then, simply pour the broth through a sieve into another pot or a storage container to use at another time.
**Recipe is safe for vegan, vegetarian, and dairy-free diets!